Friday 30 September 2016

September 30. AO year 1, week 18

We sang our folksong, "My Paddle." We listened to some Schubert over breakfast.

I read Joshua 1:1-9, when God tells Joshua to take the Israelites across to the Promised Land. She narrated it very well.

We read "Night in Armour" and "Come Out With Me" from Now We Are Six.  The second poem is about a child asking adults to look at this and that in nature and the adults don't pay attention. As we talked about it, Fina said that never happens to her because me and L (one of our homeschooling friends) always listen when she wants to show us something. Wow!

Fina sang the hymn, "The Canticle of the Sun" along with me. We just sang the chorus and first verse.

We skipped ahead to chapter 37 of The Burgess Bird Book. Fina wanted to read about chickadees. It is a cute story about Tommy the Chickadee. I remarked that I didn't remember that birds change their feathers before flying south (not chickadees, but the other birds in that chapter) and Fina said she remembered hearing that in "The Burgess Bird Book." So, there you go! Her retention is better than mine. (We knew that already!)  We looked up the chickadee and listened to it's "fee-bee" song. Even Peter Rabbit in the story we read said that Tommy says "fee-bee" better than Phoebe does.

This photo is from this site, allaboutbirds.org, and you can its song here as well. We love this site. 

Fina thought her favourite bird was a chickadee, but now, looking at these chickadees, we realize the bird she likes is NOT a chickadee.  She sketched it for me.
"This bird has a very light brown body, with a little bit of white on its face, and lighter brown on its tummy, and, on its tail, it is the same brown of the rest of the body, with little white spots all over the tail. The beak is like the beak of the chickadee, just beigey." Fina would like help identifying it!

I asked her to recite "What country friends is this" from Twelfth Night. And she surprised me by getting all but the last sentence ("I'll serve this duke.") of it on her own. Then she learned that last sentence and her passage is complete. She is happy because she wants to recite it at co-op in a week's time.

She did the math test for lesson 8 and did it excellently. She made one mistake, which was obviously just an oversight. She was quite proud of herself. As a "reward" I had her do the extra activity for lesson 8. You've got to love that more math is a reward!

She read three pages of Plenty of Fish aloud to me. I am loving this little reader. She read a few pages of "The Gingerbread Boy" from the Treadwell reader last night for dad. She says she likes to read but that it is hard work. "I am curious to find out what happens next in Plenty of Fish but I want to stop reading right now."

We went to volunteer some of our time at a local shop in town, bagging candy for their upcoming anniversary celebration.

We spent the afternoon outside, enjoying nature and enjoying the warm weather!


Fina made yet another broom, and she swept a path up this house

My nature study

Fina's nature study

My artsy pic. 
The girls were off playing, 
the only evidence was their boots (and Fina's hat!)



No comments:

Post a Comment