Thursday 29 September 2016

September 29, AO year 1, week 18

I read two chapters of Little House in the Big Woods, our current free read, to Fina over breakfast.

I sang "My Paddle" to her. Well, really, "at" her. She wasn't impressed! Ha!

Fina read two pages of Plenty of Fish aloud. 

I read 1 Kings 18:20-39, Elijah and the Prophets of Baal. Fina narrated the passage very well.

She recited "What country friends is this" to me. She learned the next little part, "For such disguise as haply shall become the form of my intent." One more line to go. I'm sure she will have it ready for co-op next week.

We did some cursive work. Her "or" is better than mine!

We will start "q" next time.

I sang through Marty Haugen's "The Canticle of the Sun" for her, a favourite hymn of mine from church.

We finished the story of St Edward the Confessor from Our Island Saints. She narrated it very well today.

We read two more poems from Now We Are Six, "Forgiven" and "The Emperor's Rhyme."

Fina finished 8E and also did 8F from her math. Next time we will do the test for lesson 8, solving for the unknown. My (long-term) goal is to have Fina doing her math on her own, without me having to prod her on. We will need to use a timer for this I'm sure.  I want it to be a pleasant experience for her, but for some reason, she loves to dawdle over math.

I read "The Story of How the Giant's Dance was brought to Britain" from Marshall's Our Island Story. It tells of the fairy tale of where Merlin used magic to get the stones (now Stonehenge) from Ireland, onto the British boats and brought the to Britain.  It is very cute. Fina narrated it.

We looked at some pics of Stonehenge, which was great fun. "They actually exist still today?"  She was flabbergasted!


This afternoon, we did some nature study and met with some friends for a play time at our Museum.


The mosquito shirt wasn't necessary today. 
But we hadn't been in the forest since the spring, so we were unsure.


Fina painted this mushroom.

And she made a broom out of branches and twigs and vines to tie it all together.


And here are my nature study entries

I painted this milkweed

And the same mushroom

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment