Wednesday 28 September 2016

September 28, AO year 1, week 18

We started the day by reading this very sweet, rather sad, story by Astrid Lindgren, The Red Bird.



Fina finished reading "The Red Hen" from the Treadwell Primer. She did such a great job. I can already see that this reader from 1910 is going to be so sweet. I'm so thankful I saw it in a footnote in AO year 0.  I'm printing off the next story to read.

We worked on some cursive. The wrote "open" and learned the letter "u" and wrote "unicorn."  She wants to write on these little scraps, though I have been warning her that the vertical lines are not helping!



We did some math, doing lessons 8D and the second page of 8E.  Then I had her do some push ups.


Hillarious!

I read from Matthew 1:18-21 and Fina narrated, the birth of Jesus.
We read the first half of the story of St Edward the Confessor, from Our Island Saints. She narrated this well, better than she ever has from this book.

We started our new folksong, "My Paddle" melded with "Land of the Silver Birch."  Time for some Canadiana.

I read the next two poems from Now We Are Six. "Journey's End" and "Furry Bear."
Fina recited "What country friends is this." We still have to learn those last two lines.

We looked at our painting from last week, and we talked about it a bit more.

I read "Aladdin" from The Blue Fairy Book. Fina loves these stories, but doesn't do the best narrations from them. We will see if she can narrate the story to dad later.

Fina spent a few hours playing outside this afternoon. I'd like to do another nature study. We were doing really well with that the last few weeks, but it just hasn't happened this week, YET!

No comments:

Post a Comment