Friday 23 September 2016

Email subscriptions, teeth, art and USED BOOKS!!!

According to FeedBurner, I have 4 feed subscribers (including me, I guess, so 3 of you!). Yay! Thanks!  I signed up, just to make sure it worked ok, and my email came in just after midnight.  I thought it would just be a notification of the new post(s), but, as 3 of you know,  it includes the posts in their entirety!

The notification email itself does not look pretty, and if I were in your shoes, I would just use that email to click through to the blog itself (which looks slight prettier). Plus, you need to click through to leave a comment, so go ahead!

Technology is exciting, right?

In other news, Fina lost another tooth yesterday, toothie number 6. Very exciting!



We were in the city for some medical work for dad and we got to go to not one, but two used book sales.  Here is my haul!

The first sale was actually at the hospital.  When we walked in, we saw the sign, so while we were waiting for dad, we went down there to browse. This is what I got there:

(I have the Lamb, so I picked it up for a friend)




While waiting for dad, Fina got in some handicraft work.



In the hospital lobby, Fina recognized the style of this print of a painting that was being auctioned.



She immediately recognized it as being by Norval Morrisseau (Canada, 1931-2007), who is sometimes referred to as the "Picasso of the North."

When Fina was 2.5 years old, we saw this painting at the Winnipeg Art Gallery and it has been her favourite painting ever since.



In fact, what we saw today was painted by Christian Morrisseau (Canada, 1969-), Norval's son, and is very appropriately titled "Father and Son." (It took her a while to find the son in the top painting.)

But she can certainly recognize the style!

***********

Then, at the three times a year sale at our mall (which has over 200,000 books), I got this lovely stash.




These are nice copies 
(Good thing I had my excel list of all the AO books, all the way to grade 12. I just thought to grab A Little Brother to the Bear when I saw it, but I did not know it is on the AO list. Before making my purchases, I sat down for a few minutes to check and make sure I needed or didn't already own the things in my stash. And then I realized this was on there!)




The L.M. Montgomery and the L.I. Wilder books would not be hard to find, used or new for that matter. So those aren't *really* a wonderful find, but since I was there and I saw them, I picked them up. Our collections of those are *nearly* complete now.

I'm counting 16 books that are on my AO list and most of the rest are suggested (all the L.M. Montgomery, plus the piano books) of the 40 plus books I picked up.

The best find, hands down, was found by my dearest friend L. We were together, though were in different parts of the mall throughout the day. At the "Unusual Books" section she found these beauties! And since she had previously bought them for herself online, she hyperventilated for a moment and then picked them up for me! For under $20, books 2-6 of Charlotte Mason's volumes. Completely incredible!!! Have a got a great friend, or what???




2 comments: