Monday 19 September 2016

September 19, AO year 1, week 17

Here we are, at the start of week 17.

Yesterday, on the way to and from church, Fina finished embroidering this lovely thing. (Shhh, it's a surprise for someone, so pretend you did NOT see it here!) Look at us, Sunday handicrafts, just as Charlotte Mason intended!



Today, Fina and dad started the day by reading from Lewis' The Silver Chair over breakfast. They are almost finished the book.

Fina did some creative Lego as I did some chores while listening to some Schubert.

I read the story of David choosing Solomon as his successor (1 Kings 1:28-40; 6:1-14, 38) in chunks and Fina gave an excellent narration.

Then Fina read a few pages from Plenty of Fish aloud to me as  I was hanging laundry.

We sang our hymn "A Place at the Table."

I read two Aesop's Fables, "The Ass, the Fox and the Lion" and "The Birds, the Beasts and the Bat." Fina narrated each of them. She doesn't connect very well with the Aesop's Fables, which is surprising. But she still narrated them and does enjoy them.

We sang our folksong "I've been working on the railroad."

We did some cursive work.



We read two new poems from Now We Are Six, "Binker" and "Cherry Stones." Both very cute.
We did some math. 5X, 6X, 7X and the first page of the test for unit 7.

She was asked to make a word problem for 6+2=8. This is what she dictated to me:

"Twilight had 6 apples. Then she asked for 2 more. How many apples does Twilight have now?

Then Fina did some recitation. "Now Fair Hippolyta" and the first half of "What country friends is this?" from Twelfth Night.

This afternoon, we are going out to the creek for some nature study. Thanks for reading along with us!


2 comments:

  1. She's very good at embroidery I love it. What a great craft to do in the car instead of just sitting there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! I should do something in the car myself. I think I have a cross stitch on the go somewhere. But it is tricky to read the instructions as you go. But this kind of thing is just perfect!

      Delete