Friday 23 September 2016

September 23, AO year 1, week 17

Continuing on with week 17.

Fina wanted to paint this morning, so she painted and drew and used her calligraphy set for an hour, while listening to Schubert.



I read Proverbs 1:1-7, which is rather tough to narrate.

Fina recited "Now fair Hippolyta" and "What country friends is this" as we; as she learned the next line of that passage.

We did chapter 24 of our catechism.  We have finally completed our level 1 catechism program. And a good thing, too, as we need to start level 2 soon.

We watched the video for lesson 8 in math and Fina did 8A.  Solving for the unknown.

We sang our folksong, "I've been working on the railroad."

We started our next Shakespeare story, "As You Like It." For the first time, we are using the Lamb version.  It is longer than the Nesbitt, but we enjoyed it. We read pages 62-68, stopping frequently for narrations. Fina begged for more and more. It was great!

We read our next poem from Now We Are Six, "Buttercup Days." We still haven't found a new poem that Fina wants to recite, but since we are working on the Shakespeare, I don't really mind.

We are going out this afternoon to our creek for some nature study.

Fina continues to read from whatever is in front of her. We will continue reading Plenty of Fish.

ETA: since many of you will be getting the email version after midnight, I thought I'd update on our afternoon. We'll see if this portion hits the email or what!

We spent the afternoon at our creek. As soon as we got there, we saw this little guy (and one of his friends) wandering around so Fina quickly pulled out her nature study supplies and we scooped him up into our bin. (Don't worry, we released him safely!)


A Banded Wooly Bear Caterpillar. Fina named him Fuzzy.



Curled up playing dead, whenever we touched him.


For the first time ever, I also painted in my nature notebook.


This caterpillar will be come an Isabella Tiger Moth (Pyrrharchtia isabella).  It was fun to do! (No wonder Fina has some trouble, though. Our brushes are not great. And it isn't easy to get the technique of dry-brush. It really is not an easy thing to wet your brush, blot it, mix your colours, get them on the paper etc.  I should probably be more understanding of Fina's frustration at times. Plus, she mainly just wants to keep painting. She has that creative streak. And I'm always redirecting her to giving a faithful representation of what she sees. I NEED to provide more art time for her, not only in nature study. She needs to nurture this gift she has.

I also had a chance to sit with my dear friend L (when she joined us with her kids) and paint this landscape by our creek. We had our chairs and all our supplies and we spent a solid hour painting (while the kids ran around and enjoyed their own crazy time, as they always do!)
Sheer bliss.  I have never really used my artistic skills in this way. I'm more of a musician, crafter, cross stitching, crocheting type.  It was great. I want to do it again.

This pic doesn't show the left side, which I painted as well. 
It was even more lovely the other day when the sun was shining!

Kind of abstract-ish, I guess. I enjoyed my first try. I'd like to do more washed out, muted colours next time.  My friend L's was more like that and it was lovely!

Look what they found, while we were painting.

They put it in the netting of their lunch kit, so it wouldn't slither away from them


Thanks for joining us!




No comments:

Post a Comment