Monday 3 October 2016

October 3, AO year 1, week 18

Now I know why people don't easily allow for subscribing to blogs (and many of the emails I get for blogs I am subscribed to don't include the whole post, just a snippet with "read the rest by clicking here.").  Because when you read my blog entirely from the email you get, it doesn't register as a "view" on my blog stats. So, now, though more of you are actually reading my blog regularly, my blog stats show that no one has read my last few posts. What a conundrum!  I know that the big bloggers use fancy software (or something) to promote their posts to their subscribers. And they post on FB, etc as well. Maybe Blogger was just trying to look out for us small bloggers by not making that "subscribe to me by email" button so easily accessible.

At any rate, if you are reading this, stop by my blog and drop me a comment every once in a while. Even if it is just to say hello!

**********

On Saturday we went to the forest and meadow to gather some items to paint. And we painted on the ski bridge.

This is what Fina painted. 
White sweet-clover, "melilotus alba." 
It does smell like vanilla.

We spent some time sitting and playing in the meadow.  And we finished reading Little House in the Big Woods.

**********

This morning, Fina started with listening to some Schubert over breakfast.
Fina recited her "What country friends is this." She really has it now. We could start our next Shakespeare passage.

I read "Down by the Pond" from Now We Are Six. We also listened to the last bunch of poems as read by Peter Denis on audiobook.

I read Joshua 1:10-18 and Fina gave a great narration of it.
We sang "My Paddle."
I read George Washington and his Hatchet" from Fifty Famous Stories Retold and Fina gave an absolutely excellent narration.  We also read "Doctor Goldsmith" from there and, again, her narration was superb. I was impressed.
We sang our hymn "Canticle of the Sun." Fina actually sang the whole refrain and first verse by herself. Which is a feat, in and of itself.
I read two Aesop's Fables to her, "The Lion, the Bear and the Fox" and "Hares and Frogs" and her narrations were wonderful.
She did a bit of a cursive work.
We went on to our next math lesson, adding +9 and she got it quite easily. She did 9A and a bit of 9B.
We did chapter two from our catechism book. There was a bible passage in there that I read, and, on the fly, I asked her to narrate it when I was done. Her response? "Mom, I didn't know I was going to have to narrate. I wasn't really listening."  Aha!!! CM is right!!! I learned a huge lesson from that myself.
She read a couple of pages from Plenty of Fish and continues to enjoy reading aloud to me.

We went to play on the museum grounds for the afternoon. I had brought our nature journalling supplies, but we ended up having some friends join us, so Fina didn't end up doing her nature study, which is fine. Her friend S did paint a leaf.  But they played and played and had a marvellous time. We certainly enjoyed the mild weather today!

I painted these two specimens plus a landscape, while listening to A Delectable Education podcast. I listened to the two episodes interviewing John Muir Laws, here and here, which were certainly apropros as I was doing nature journalling myself at the time. It was a GLORIOUS way to spend an afternoon!



The yellow leaves are from the tree on the left. A Manitoba Maple, I think. 
And on the right is the Red Osier Dogwood.


2 comments:

  1. Those are great drawings mom!!!
    I love how fina admitted to not listening when you asked her to narrate!!!

    ReplyDelete