Tuesday 4 October 2016

October 4, AO year 1, week 19

I am reading through Charlotte Mason's Volume VI A Philosophy of Education. I had read more than half of it as an e-book. Then my friend L loaned me her copy and I started from the beginning. L then found me 5 of the 6 volumes at the used book sale, you will remember, and I continued reading from where I had left off.  As I found a quote that caught my attention yesterday, I added it to my Commonplace Book.  Here is the quote:
We forget that it is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God shall man live, -- whether it be spoken in the way of some truth of religion, poem, picture, scientific discovery, or literary expression; by these things men live and in all such is the life of the spirit. The spiritual life requires the food of ideas for its daily bread.
As I flipped through my Commonplace Book, I saw that I had already quoted this passage the first time I read it. It must really be important to me, for some reason. I think it is because it equates "word" with all creative output, poem, picture, science, literature. I thought that was kind of neat, though funny.

***********
This morning, Fina came to cuddle in bed with me and we read two stories from Lang's Pink Fairy Book, one of our current free reads.
Over breakfast, Fina requested to listen to some "Zecchino D'Oro," so we did.
We sang our hymn, "Canticle of the Sun."
I read the story of Jonah and the whale (Jonah 1:1-2:10) and Fina narrated it in chunks and did a good job with it.  She asked if a big fish ACTUALLY swallowed Jonah. I told her she should ask her friend, uncle C (a Biblical Studies scholar, who is a professor colleague of dad's).

Fina recited all of our Shakespeare passages. She did a great job. I recited some of them that I could remember!  We started our new passage, from Shakespeare's Twelfth Night Act II, Scene iii, lines 113-115, spoken by Sir Toby Belch:
Out 'o tune, sir? Ye lie.
Art any more than a steward?
Dos thou think, because thou art virtuous,
there shall be no more cakes and ale?
She learned the first line and part of the second line of the passage.

I read "The Little Black Hen" and "The Friend" from Now We Are Six. I reread three of the previous poems.

We sang "My Paddle," the first part of our folksong. And then I sang the first verse of "Land of the Silver Birch." Our folksong melds these two together.

I read "The Armadilloes" from Just So Stories by Kipling. Fina narrated it in chunks. It is a cute story.

Fina did 9B, 9C and 9D of her math, adding +9. She gets it, which is great!

We did our picture study, looking at Jacques-Louis David's "Death of Socrates."


Fina was very insightful. She saw the handcuffs, thought they were in jail, that people were crying, and someone was giving him water and he wasn't sad - he was going to take it and drink it. And she saw the people outside of the room in the background.  To think, the first time we did picture study, she freaked out because she couldn't remember anything!

She learned the cursive letter "q".




And she read a couple of pages of Plenty of Fish aloud to me.

This afternoon, we had our outdoor playgroup. The kids had a wonderful time!



No comments:

Post a Comment