Thursday 23 February 2017

Year 1, week 28, day 2, February 23

My Charlotte Mason poetry work is all coming along nicely.  In my morning quiet hours while the house is asleep, I am spending about an hour on it.

- I have been doing 30 minutes of transcription from the manuscripts of volume VII.
Art M. just published three stanzas from a poem we have been working on, "Increase our Faith," at CharlotteMasonPoetry.org  To think that I had a hand in transcribing that from Charlotte Mason's own handwritten notes!

- I have also been spending 30 minutes editing and correcting the current documents of volumes I-VI (in my new role of the "digital editor" for CharlotteMasonPoetry.org). I started going through volume VI.

I read this poem today (from volume VI, Book II, Poem XIX, Matthew 11:28)

**********
At the fair (The Disciple)

EAGER we take our way through noisy mart,
Agog for bargains that shall souls appease,
Shall minister to happiness or ease,
Shall give us courage for our per’lous part,

Or soothe the soreness of our wounded heart!
They cry their tinsel wares nor ever cease;
We buy in hope of joy and wealth’s increase;
Brought home, our sorry bargain, stript of art,

Mocks our desire. But in the fair was One
We would no hear, whose cry was only, “Rest”;
“Why hither, thither, will ye frenzied run?
“Come, buy, but bring no money; cease your quest

For unguent never made beneath the sun;
Come unto Me, and I will give you rest!”
**********
What a wonderful poem. So à propos to our modern life!

I am enjoying this work immensely. All my years of undergrad and MA work in musicology prepared me for this kind of primary source work. It is incredible to be coming back to something like this after all these years! It is keeping me busy, but I feel like I really needed this Mother-Culture. The poetry work as well as having a more intentional reading schedule for myself. I feel that this was really lacking in my life. (FaceBook, blogs, CM schooling research etc really eats up a lot of my free time. But I'm able to hold off on that while I do these other things for the first few hours of my day).



TODAY

We started by listening to some Palestrina over breakfast.

It was snowing (which lasted all of 10 minutes) and Fina just HAD to go outside and put out our containers to catch snow to make tire-sur-la-neige. And to eat some snow flakes.

Needless to say, we had to bring the containers back in and they were empty!


We read Luke 5:1-11, "Fisher's of men," and Fina narrated it.
In her 20 minutes of math, we watched the video lesson for our next lesson (making 10), she did 15A and B and we still had a few minutes left over to do MEP p 7 #1-3.  A very good math day!

We went through Fina's recitations. She has her portion of our passage for our co-op performance pretty much perfected now. There is still an "and" that she keeps adding, but we will fix that up!

We read two Aesop's Fables. She gave an ok-ish narration of "The Three Bullocks and A Lion." She gave a much better narration of "Mercury and the Woodman."

We started our next saint story from Amy Steedman's In God's Garden, "St Catherine of Siena." We read a portion of it and Fina gave an excellent narration of it. In the story, we are told that her house in Siena still exists and is a museum. So we looked it up online. We saw something that looked like St Catherine's head on google and Fina right away remembered that St Thérèse saw it on her pilgrimage to Italy. (I did NOT remember this fact!)

We worked on the next two nursery rhymes in Pio Peep!  Fina is trying her best to pronounce the words, repeating the lines after me.

She did 10 minutes of copywork. We spent some time experimenting with some different sizes of lined paper and settled on one. I used this worksheet generator and just left it blank and printed it. You can also add text and it puts it in for you. The cursive isn't exactly like our cursive, so we will just use blank sheets. But the spacing and the third line for letters that fall below work well for us right now.


We read chapter 22 of Paddle to the Sea. We were excited because Paddle goes over Niagara Falls. We learned a bit about Lake Erie and the Welland Canal (all places we have visited many times).

I read our next poem, #122 in The Oxford Book of Children's Verse, "The Peacock 'At Home'" by Catherine Ann Dorset.

Fina read "The Letter" from Frog and Toad aloud to me. She is reading with a lot of expression.

We sang our hymn and folksong.

Fina did 20 minutes of drawing. She decided to paint the meadowlark that we read about yesterday in The Burgess Bird Book.


I am really enjoying having two 20 minute slots of drawing on our schedule, plus our nature study afternoon slot. Fina loves to paint and this is giving her more opportunities to paint during the week. And, of course, it isn't as difficult as I thought to take out the supplies etc. It is a WONDERFUL part of our day!

Then I asked Fina to do 20 minutes of crochet. She wanted to spend her time doing other handicrafts, but I was able to get her to do 10 single crochet stitches first. Then she worked on her crochet chain and then on some wood carving. I read some of our free reads while she worked.

Thanks for joining us!

No comments:

Post a Comment