Wednesday 8 February 2017

AO year 1, week 26, February 8

We started with reading from Matthew 2:1-6 and Fina narrated it.
She did her 15 minutes of math, completing 14B p 2 and 14C.
She reviewed her recitations.
We finished reading the story of St Benedict from In God's Garden. Fina gave an excellent narration.
We worked on some cursive and learned the upper case W.  Only X, Y and Z to go!


We read "Oscar, the Cat About Town" from James Herriot's Treasury. It is a sweet story and Fina gave an excellent narration of this one as well.

We read our next poem, by Jane Taylor, "Greedy Richard."

We sang our folksong and hymn.
We read "The Wolf and the Shepherd" and "The Farmer and His Sons" from Aesop's Fables. Fina narrated both of them well.
She read "The Kite" from Frog and Toad aloud.

For the first time, we did a big composer study lesson, à la Megan Hoyt's A Touch of the Infinite. Our composer for the term is Palestrina. (We are a bit behind the AO lists, but I wanted to do this composer to match Holbein's art work).  
I read the chapter on Palestrina from Harriette Brower's The World's Great Men of Music: Story-Lives of Great Musicians, free here at gutenberg.  Fina gave a short narration.  We quieted down to sit and listen attentively to the excerpt. (We started with his "Tu es Petrus.")  Then I gave Fina the chance to narrate. She spoke in such a lively manner. It reminded her of the music from the Vatican. It gets soft and loud, fast and slow. She realized there were no instruments, only voices. It was wonderful!
Now, we will add this to our "casual" listening and will do our next piece in a similar way, reviewing a bit about Palestrina himself and then listening carefully to that next piece.  I am already convinced that Fina has connected more with this 4 minute piece than with all of our Brahms and Schubert listening. I'm so glad I bought Megan Hoyt's book. It really gave me the encouragement I needed to do this in a more in-depth way. (Terrible, I am a music history major, but, like in other things relating to homeschooling, I was frozen with the choices. Once I found something that worked for me, it was easy to just dive in!)

Fina spent some time doing some fingerknitting (in place of her crochet).



We spent the sunny, chilly afternoon doing this and that and reading some free reads. Our current reads are Graham Oakley's The Church Mice and The Ring and Church Mice Adrift. We also started reading Thornton W. Burgess' Mother West Wind Stories to Read Aloud.  And we are continuing with our Orange Fairy Book by Andrew Lang.

**********
We have continued on with our new timed schedule and it is working well. I've been doing some Facebook research and have found a few things I need to tweak.

I need to do "drawing" which we haven't done, separate from nature study. Well, we kind of have, with Fina doing her artforkidshub.com stuff. But I want to do dry brush painting of other stuff, not just nature. So I have pulled out another notebook for her to use for this type of stuff. I do have Mona Brooke's Drawing with Children and we may try to do some of that as well.

We need more nature lore than what AO schedules, in order to do 20 minutes twice a week. So I have finally found the way to incorporate Arabella Buckley's Eyes and No Eyes series into our work. I have looked to buy it, but for now, we will use the free ebook from archive.org.

And I need to do something about foreign language. I need to bite the bullet and start some French. 10 minutes, three times a week. That isn't impossible. I really want to use this by Cherrydale Press, but I don't want to spend $20 USD. But I want something that is laid out for me. I should just do it!

We are going with dad his university tomorrow to do some painting with acrylics in their drop-in paint area. And on Friday we have our co-op. I will report back after that.

Thanks for coming alongside us!

No comments:

Post a Comment