Tuesday 21 February 2017

Year 1, week 27, day 4, February 21

I am also reading The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards in the hopes to get some ideas for Fina's 20 minute drawing lessons twice a week.

And I started reading Charlotte Mason's Scale How Meditations, edited by Dr Benjamin Bernier. I bought the ebook.

Fina did a lot of drawing, colouring, wood carving etc yesterday as she was sick.  We played monopoly. We read. She listened to the last few chapters of The Orange Fairy Book on Librivox.

She also started doing some MEP math as enrichment. Over the weekend, she did the first 5 pages of level 1.

*****
Today we did a slightly shortened day because Fina is still feeling under the weather.

She listened to our two Palestrina pieces over breakfast.

Today, we started with reading our Gospel reading for Sunday, Matthew 6:24-34. We used our narration jar and I got to narrate.  Fina added some things I was missing.

Fina reviewed her recitations. She practiced her lines for our performance at co-op. She almost has them memorized.

I read the rest of "The Law of the Woods" from Parables from Nature by Margaret Gatty. Fina gave an excellent narration.

We did some geography. We learned about the horizon and how the world is a sphere, using Charlotte Mason's Geography, "Our World, Part II." We talked about the horizon.

We read a new poem, #120 "Loving and Liking" by Dorothy Wordsworth in The Oxford Book of Children's Verse.

Fina read aloud from Frog and Toad "A Swim."

I have decided to take the plunge and try to do foreign study as part of the schedule. I was inspired when I saw a book (that we also have) in a fellow CMers pics on FaceBook. Pio Peep! Traditional Spanish Nursery Rhymes.  I read the first poem, "Pito, pito, colorito." I asked Fina what it meant and she was able to decipher much of it.  I had her repeat the poem, line by line, and she did. No questions asked. No explanations given. Ha!

She thought the little bird was doing nature study, because he has a pencil crayon that is the same colour of the worm.  How cute!



I set the timer for 20 minutes of drawing. I told Fina she could draw whatever she wanted. She went and found one of our free reads, Mother West Wind Stories to Read Aloud, and she wanted to draw the raccoon on the cover.




We started listening to The Red Fairy Book by Andrew Lang on Librivox, while Fina continued painting.

She went on to do some more woodcarving while we continued to listen. She is working on a paddle because she wants to make a giant raft for paddling in the creek this summer. (I have no idea if we can make this happen!)


We were outside for 6 hours this afternoon with our outdoor playgroup. Fina is full of mud and soaked but she had a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment