Thursday 15 December 2016

AO year 1, week 22, December 15

We read another bunch of chapters from Olga da Polga and we are quite enjoying them.

We listened to some Schubert this morning over breakfast.

We started with reading about the Knights of the Round Table from Our Island Story. Fina have a great narration.

We looked again at our picture study from last week, "Napoleon Crossing the Alps" by Jacques-Louis David. Fina looked at it for a few minutes in "silence" and then I turned it over and she drew this from memory.



I had her review her recitations. And guess what? She was able to do the whole Parable of the Mustard Seed on her own, without prompting. Maybe the "read it a bunch of times together" system really does work! I was completely floored!

She learned the cursive J.  I do like her cursive a lot.



We read another poem from The Oxford Book of Children's Verse, entitled "Cradle Hymn," a lovely poem about a child and about baby Jesus.

We sang "She's Like the Swallow," our current folksong. Fina knows the first verse.

We did a bit of 11B and 11C of our math, and all of lesson 11D. It is mainly review, which is good.

Fina read pages 42-45 of Tony's Birds aloud to me.

Then she did some drawing / painting / nature study (we'll call it) from the bird that Tony was seeing in the story.  Two tiny, lovely little paintings. I didn't get a proper photo of them and she has put them away "sorry, mom, I'm saving them for Christmas" but I can show you this photo of her while she was painting. We listened to some more Schubert while she painted and I prepared lunch.


We finished our week in three days, somehow, which is great, because I want to start week 23 right away and try to get in another good bit of school before Christmas.

We went out to play with our good friends J and J in the afternoon.  A wonderful day!




No comments:

Post a Comment