Wednesday 7 December 2016

AO year 1, week 21, December 7

We did a shortened school day today. Dad was home because the university was closed. The schools are all closed. It is a real winter wonderland out there!

We started with Matthew 11:2-11.
Fina did lesson 10E of her math.
She read aloud a prayer from her catechism book.
She reviewed her recitation. I read the Parable of the Mustard Seed (I'm still hoping she will get it by osmosis, but she hasn't.  I'm thinking I'm doing this wrong and that we are supposed to read it aloud together, so I will type it out.)
She learned the fourth and fifth lines of "What is love?" from Twelfth Night. There is only one more line to learn from that passage.

Fina reviewed her upper case cursive letters A-E and we learned a fancy letter F.



I read chapter 16 of Paddle to the Sea. Paddle finally left Lake Superior. Very fun!

I read "The Mice and the Weasels" and "The World and the Lean Dog" from Aesop's Fables. Fina gave excellent narrations for both stories.

We read poems 39, 40 and 41 from our new poetry book, The Oxford Book of Children's Verse. I skipped the first stack of poems from the Medieval Era, and the 16th and 17th centuries. They felt a little dry and challenging after the lovely A.A. Milne poems. I think we'll come back to these earlier sections later on.

Fina read aloud six pages of Tony's Birds. She is doing a great job.

We sang our hymn, "O Come, O Come Emmanuel."

Then she went outside to play and has been out there for two hours already. I suspect this will be another long outside day. Which is great, because the forecast has the temperatures dipping below the -20 degree celsius mark. I'm glad she is taking advantage of it!

Here are the two tunnels they built last night, as seen in daylight. Pretty impressive!



No comments:

Post a Comment