Friday 2 December 2016

AO year 1, week 20, December 1

I'm sorry I didn't get this post out yesterday! You will hopefully get two posts today.

**********

We read Isaiah 11:1-10 (the lion will lie down with the lamb) and Matthew 3:1-12 (John the Baptist) and Fina narrated both of them very well.
We continued on with our math (adding plus 8). Fina did 10B and the 10X.

I read two new poems from Now We Are Six: "Cradle Song" and "Waiting at the Window." We only have a few pages left of this collection. Fina loves them and often requests that I reread previous ones, even from weeks or months ago. She somehow remembers them, by content and by title (which surprises me every time!).

We learned upper case B and C in our cursive. She got to write some fun names of people she loves!



We sang through our current folksong "My Paddle / Land of the Silver Birch." We just sing through it once as a fun thing to do and then move on.

We repeated the first two lines of "What is love" from Shakespeare's Twelfth Night. And I read through our mustard seed parable. Charlotte Mason (or her people) say that you can just read the parable once every day and the child will just learn it one day. I'm going to test that out. With Shakespeare and poetry, I always say one line and have Fina repeat that line three times (as suggested by Ken Ludwig in his book How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare) and that has always worked for us. But I thought I'd try this out with the parable. We will see how it goes.

Fina wanted to hammer a nail into a piece of wood with her dad's toy hammer from 40 years ago. It has a wooden handle and a hard plastic head. As she kept hitting her fingers, she thought she'd try to use her oven mitt (from her kitchen set - she still loves playing with that stuff). Somehow, she made it work and got the nail in to her little scrap of wood (which you can't see in the pic!).



I read "The Stag and his Reflection" and "The Peacock" from our Aesop's Fables and Fina gave excellent narrations for both.  I read "Picciola" from Fifty Famous Stories and she narrated that quite well.  It is the story of a wrongfully imprisoned person who befriends a little flower in the prison yard and in the end Napoleon's wife saves him. I'm looking forward to our next picture study, which is of Jacques-Louis David's "Napoleon Crossing the Alps!" She's going to love that!

I also borrowed Millicent Selsam's Tony's Birds from our provincial education library (homeschoolers in Manitoba are fortunate to have access to this library). Fina read a few pages of it aloud. We still haven't finished Selsam's Plenty of Fish, but I have that as an ebook which is a bit trickier for her to read. I highly recommend her Science I Can Read Series of easy reader books. They are wonderful.

We had an adult faith formation session at church in the evening, which was about reclaiming the adult meaning of Christmas. During the 90 minute session, Fina sat quietly colouring in her The Chronicles of Narnia Official Coloring Book a wonderful book, by the way!). Then she drew these two lovely works of art, inspired by pages in the book.  She was really well behaved and even listened in a bit. We had a nice discussion about what we had heard on our 50 minute drive home.

Enjoy!

We know it isn't the white witch saying such a kind thing to her dad!


No comments:

Post a Comment