Wednesday 14 December 2016

AO year 1, week 22, December 14

Yesterday evening, we read Blossom Comes Home by James Herriot and Fina narrated throughout.

We started reading Olga da Polga by Michael Bond (who authored Paddington). It is a cute story about a guinea pig.

We have also continued reading from The Pink Fairy Book, our other free read.

This morning, we listened to some Schubert over breakfast.

We started our new folksong, "She's Like the Swallow." It is a Canadian folksong (from Newfoundland). I had never actually heard it before, though I remember there being a piano piece based on it in one of my piano books. The lyrics are terrible. I think we'll stick to verses 1-3 and forget about the betrayal and the girl dying. All the youtube videos I found of it were very slow and dreary (no wonder!) and Fina didn't like them. So we just sing it ourselves at a nice pace!  I got the song from this lovely collection of folksongs which I borrowed from the library, The Penguin Book of Canadian Folksongs, edited by Edith Fowke. It has the melody and the lyrics.

Fina completed her unit exam in math. She did a great job. We also started our next lesson, lesson 11 about shapes and skip counting by 2s. Both these things are review from last year and she flew through lesson 11A.

I read Luke 1:5-20, 57-66 (the story of Zechariah and Elizabeth and John) and Fina narrated it very well.

We sang our hymn, "O Come, O Come Emmanuel."

I read the story of "The Vain Jackdaw and the Borrowed Feathers" from Aesop's Fables and Fina narrated it.

We worked on our recitation. Fina now knows the "What is love?" speech from Twelfth Night.  I read chapter 17 from How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare, the chapter pertaining to this passage.
We continued to work on the Parable of the Mustard Seed.

Fina reviewed her upper case cursive letters and we learned the letter I.


Her cursive is really good. We will continue to work on doing our best at all times. But she has a nice hand, I think. Certainly better than mine!

We read a poem from The Oxford Book of Children's Verse.  We still haven't found one to memorize. But we are enjoying reading them. I usually reread the previous day's poems and then one (or more) new one.

Fina read pages 36-40 of Tony's Birds aloud to me. She is doing a great job!

We read chapter 10 of The Burgess Bird Book, about Redwing the Blackbird and Yellow Wing the Flicker (who is of the wood pecker family). We found both the birds online and listened to their calls.
I asked Fina if she wanted to paint one of the birds, but she is reluctant to pull out her watercolours. I am not concerned. I don't want to force her right now, so I'll let it be for a bit. She loves nature study. I think she is worried about painting an animal (we've mostly done flora this far), though this would be straight out of a field guide.

Fina did some Lego and played the afternoon away.









No comments:

Post a Comment