Monday 6 March 2017

Year 1, week 29, day 3, March 6

On Saturday, Fina and her little friend K played outside for 6 hours. It was pleasantly above 0 degrees celsius and the sun was shining!

On Sunday morning, we were eating breakfast together and Fina wanted me to read our last three poems to fina's homeschooling dad. So I did. She actually has been wanting to include dad in the things she is learning and experiencing, of her own volition, which is great. She has taught him to crochet, to do Japanese braiding, she will show him her dry brush painting work, she has recited things for him and more. I'm glad it is coming spontaneously from her, rather than from me asking her. But the Sunday poetry thing was especially nice. She didn't want to say anything about the poems, she just wanted him to hear them.

We started the morning today with some piano practice. Fina learned a new song, page 3 from Bastien.

I read Matthew 17:1-9, the Transfiguration, and Fina narrated it.

We learned about making 9 and Fina completed 16A and 16B of her math.

We reviewed our current recitation pieces. We reviewed all of her poems from A Child's Garden of Verses and Fina knew almost every word. Her memory is astounding.

I read the chapter on "St Augustine of Hippo" from In God's Garden. Fina gave excellent narrations throughout.

We reviewed our Spanish nursery rhymes and learned a new one "AsserĂ­n, AsserĂ¡n." Fina is enjoying them and doing a great job with them.

We worked on some cursive.


We read chapter 15, "A Swallow - and One Who Isn't" from The Burgess Bird Book.  Fina narrated it throughout.

We read our next poem from The Oxford Book of Children's Verse, #129, "Choosing a Name" by Charles and Mary Lamb. It is a sweet poem about a sibling being born.

We sang our new hymn and folksong.

Fina read "Dragons and Giants" aloud from Frog and Toad.

For our picture study, we looked at Hans Holbein's "Henry VIII." Fina gave a good description of it, even guessing it was a king, though she was not quite as an animated as she was at co-op. Apparently, she thrives on an audience of more than just me!


She spent some time working on her crochet while I read some of our free read aloud.

Fina also did some sewing on Sewy, her machine. Just practicing some skills.



I feel like I need to have the sewing machine out, just like the woodcarving tools. Their constant presence makes them much easier to use!

We are just steeped in the "things" of a CM education right now, which is lovely. Tomorrow we'll do some painting too.

I have also been offered (and accepted) a very prestigious position as the secretary of a board related to Charlotte Mason. God works in mysterious ways. Thanks to my new position, I will be attending a conference in June in the States. A conference I had heard much about, but had decided not to attend this year. The day has been a bit of a whirlwind. I can hardly believe I am part of this board!

It was an incredible day!


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on being part of the board. That's very exciting!!!!

    ReplyDelete