Monday 23 January 2017

Year 1, term 2 exams part 1, January 23

We read the Gospel for Sunday and prayed for a few moments.

Here we are, sitting on the couch, drinking hot chocolate. What a fun way to do exams!





23 Sing your favorite folksong from this term

Fina sang “She’s Like the Swallow”


15 Tell the story of the Market Square Dog or Blossom Comes Home

The Market Square Dog

The market square dog was in the market and the vet Herriot, sees the market square dog in the market. He was being sold, I think. No, he was begging for food at the market stands and people were giving it to him and then he left. And then, when he went around the corner, the police man was there and he said “there’s this dog, have you seen him?”  And Herriot says “yeah.” That he wanted to catch him. Then, a while after, he said he was arrested for being in the market square and begging for food. And then he goes to a cottage and opens the door and says “I gave him to my daughters because they wanted a dog.” And Herriot said “I thought so.” And then he said “my name is [something funny].” 


22 poem

She decided to recite a poem we hadn’t actually learned “Epitaph on a Dormouse” #74 from The Oxford Book of Children’s Verse. And she did a decent job with it. That just goes to show how much just even reading it 4 or 5 times is enough to nearly memorize  it!


20 Shakespeare - something from Twelfth Night

She wanted to recite something from Term 1, “I know a bank” from A Midsummer Night’s Dream.
And then she recited “What is Love?” and “What Country friends is this?” from Twelfth Night.


3 Who was your favourite character from your Free Reads and why? Tell me a little  
bit about the character. (If needed, prompt titles)

“Ian the Soldier’s Son” from The Orange Fairy Book

My favourite character is the Griffin. He’s a black griffin and he knows a black crow. And Ian always gives him ??? every time the griffin helps him with something. And the griffin is my favourite character from the story.
Ian shakes this big chain and then the griffin always helps him with stuff. Actually, at the end, the griffin says to Ian, “Cut off my head” and then he said “well, you’ve been such a good friend to me that I won’t.” “I’ve been cast under a spell. You will free me and I’ll become a man again.” 


12 Tell how you might tell direction by looking at the sky.

The sun rises in the east and sets in the west. Winnipeg is north and then what? is that way? St Malo is in the south.

At night time: You can tell by the north star. To find the north star you can find the dipper, because the north star is the dipper’s handle (the little dipper).
From the big dipper you go “shoo” (mom said the pointer stars)
The big dog is big and he is really near to Orion’s belt. First, to find Sirius, his collar, the brightest star that there is in the world, other than the sun, Sirius. That’s his little license on his collar. Then right beside him is Orion. But to find Orion you need to find his belt. And to find his belt you need to find the three wise men, because the three wise men is his belt. And then you can find Sirius. ‘Cause it looks like Orion is beside his dog, and we think that’s his dog. Now, here’s another dog. It’s a tail without a dog. Just two little stars connected to each other. Just two stars a little bit of distance away from each  other.

[I thought this might be a cute one to listen to.]




2 Tell about the wise men from the East.

The wise men were wanting to give Jesus gifts, but first they stopped by King Herod and he said… He secretly learned from the wise men when the exact moment that the star had appeared. Then he said “come right back to me after you go, so I can also go and give him gifts.” But he actually wasn’t. He was going to kill Jesus. The three wise men were warned in a dream that they should go to their own countries by another road.

[I asked her if there was anything else she wanted to add about the wise men actually going to Jesus and she says no. She wanted to tell the more complicated part. “Mom, you know that I know that part about the star and the gifts and all that. But you might not know that I knew this other part of the story!”  So there!]


13 Find one thing in your nature journal from this term and tell me all about it.

[This question was such a hit, she could not stop at one. She just HAD to do five of them. I wasn’t about to stop her.] 

Feather

I found a feather outside near the path at the museum and it’s very beautiful, but it’s gone now. I painted a water colour bit of a it. It’s very nice. It has a little tinge of blue in it. It’s very beautiful. Yes and the colours, there is a very nice bit of blue at the top, a nice white peak at the bottom and then nice grey feathers right below the black part on top. And then a little spot of white in the middle of the grey and then there’s a black  stripe, blue stripe and then at the very top white.


Shaggy Ink Cap Mushroom

I found a mushroom on the same day as the other one and the same place, the museum. It’s very nice. It’s a very nice greyish white like those mushrooms that are not mushrooms that you eat. They are wild mushrooms, but they’re not like wild mushrooms. They look different. They’re more like oval on the top and then a little stubby stem on the bottom. It’s really nice and it has little blackish, brownish, greyish dots along the bottom. You can explain it while you’re texting it. There’s nice long stripes on the bottom of it. And I painted it.

[I asked her to tell me how big it was and she went on a rampage through the house  looking for something similar. It was actually quite funny for me!]


Black-capped chickadee

This is a black-capped chickadee. And it’s really cute and I painted it. It’s at our bird feeder. It looks normal but then. It’s different than a nuthatch. The nuthatch sort of looks similar so we got mixed up. But yeah, this one is the real one. This is the actual black capped chickadee. We were wondering what the nuthatch was but then we realized it was just a nuthatch.  It has a very short beak, not like a nuthatch, but it has very similar colours to the nuthatch. And a very very very little bit of brown yellow outlining the wing. Standing on a branch. It has a black head with a little bit of white in it and a blue outline because that is sort of what it looks like. 


Mussel shell

There’s a very pretty shell and where did we find it again? In the creek. It has very strange green seaweed on it, yes, and there’s nice brown and dark brown on it. Pretty much with a little bit of a black outline-ish thing. But I always make it like that with a black outline anyway. A very thick black outline. It was really thin on the shell, though.

Was it the day my friends were supposed to come? But we found it at the creek. In the shallow water, where we can go actually swimming. I actually tried paddling there once and it was a lot of fun. I also swam on a ball, on a beach ball with my hands around it. It’s a lot of fun. 


Banded Wooly Bear Caterpillar


I found this little caterpillar and I trapped it in one of our watercolouring sets. And we kept it in the little bowl that you use to put water in. Then we put the pallette on top of it so it wouldn’t escape and we could still look at it. It escaped a few times but we caught it again. His name’s Fuzzy because I named him that. Yes, and then he ran away, but then I caught him. Well, first I saw him in the grass and then I caught him with two water colour things… He’s black all over and with a nice, thick brown stripe in the middle. [his body?] It was really really fuzzy. And that’s why I even made it fuzzy on the paper. [where?] Yes, the same place as all the rest. We saw a few. One or two. At the bridge, the same place as the shell.

That is it for today. Fina did some Lego, played inside and outside. She had a good day!


Tomorrow we have our outdoor playgroup, so we will continue our exam on Wednesday. Thanks for joining us.

No comments:

Post a Comment