Thursday 12 January 2017

AO year 1, week 23, January 12

We read Luke 2:1-20 and Fina gave a great narration

We sang our hymn, "Praise to the Lord, the Almighty."
Fina finished up lesson 11 of her math. She will do her test next time.
We read "The First Letter" from Kipling's Just So Stories. It was very cute. I stopped once in the middle for a narration and at the end.
We read poems 56 and 57 from The Oxford Book of Children's Verse.
Fina read aloud "The Pancake" from the Treadwell Primer.  She read it with such expression! I wish I would have recorded it. I think it was her best reading ever.
Fina reviewed her letter K and wrote her friend's name.



I showed her the letter L and she did a few, but her heart wasn't in it. We will continue with it next time.

Fina recited a few passages for me. We started with the first line of our current passage from Twelfth Night. She learned the first line.

We looked at Jacques-Louis David's "The Coronation of Napoleon" painting in silence for (almost) three minutes. Fina gave a detailed description of it.


We started to learn The Parable of the Sower (from Luke 8:4-8). We read it through aloud together once.

We sang our folksong, "She's Like the Swallow."

I read "The Dogs and the Hides" from Aesop's Fables and Fina narrated it. The moral of it is don't try do something that is actually impossible. A good moral, I think!

The whittling continues here. She made a slingshot (with some help from nonno on Facetime).



And look what Fina's homeschooling dad bought me!  My own vintage copy of The Cloud of Witness.  Oh my goodness, it is just LOVELY!!!






Handwritten inscription is from 1896! 120 years old!!!

I love it! (He's the best!)

Now, Fina is doing some fingerknitting with sparkly yarn we bought for her yesterday. So, woodcarving and fingerknitting are our handicrafts of choice at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment