Thursday 5 November 2015

November 5, AO year 1, week 8

We are still both very sick.  We both have coughs now, that are hopefully breaking up. I have resorted to drinking garlic tea with honey and lemon. Don't come near me for a while. That being said, I'm trying to do as little talking as possible (which is fine, Fina usually talks enough for the both of us anyway!).

So, we started with finishing up our "solving for the unknown" chapter in math. MUS 21B-F. She is doing really well with this. We took a sneak peek at the next chapter, which is skip counting by 5.

We continued on working on the cursive letter f. It is tricky, but she is getting better. We wrote "flat." Some are better than others. But she is enjoying it. It is difficult to learn what spacing works, so I keep trying to talk her through it (once you are at the top of the f, go straight down). One she has the letter, though, she can do it herself. It is a slow process. But I am enjoying it and so is she.



We read two Aesop Fables "The Gnat and the Bull" and "The Plane Tree." She narrated both very well.

She recited "The Cow" for me and her first stanza of "Night and Day." We couldn't do more than that. We were both coughing.

Now, I want to give her a head start on finger knitting. I will be leading that at our Homeschooling Co-op group, and I want her to know what she is doing so I can help the others.  She also said she wants to do some loom knitting today.

One of our free reads for year 1 is Laura Ingalls Wilder's The Little House in the Big Woods. We have the whole series on audiobook, read by Cherry Jones, so we will listen to that this afternoon, while following along in the actual book to enjoy the illustrations together.  Fina has listened to the entire series, but in snippets on her own, or while I brush and floss her teeth. We have never read it from the book. Since I have no voice today, following along with the audiobook is the next best thing for us.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment