Saturday 12 March 2016

My 100th post!!! Leading up to March 11 2016

Well, this is my hundredth post. If I may say so myself, I'm pretty impressed I have kept up this habit. I think now I should be able to continue without giving up.  I do hope you have found enjoyment and possibly some inspiration in following along with our homeschool lives.  Thanks for reading and sharing with us!


Monday March 7 - After we did our school work, we went out for a 4 hour walk on the creek with dad (who has his reading week break this week). We made it back to "Peaseblossom Mountain." Fina was so happy.

She also made a slingshot with an old piece of bungee (the outdoor playgroup kids have been playing with that piece all winter!) She worked on it for a long while and was able to shoot a piece of bark.



Tuesday March 8, we had our regular outdoor playgroup. We went walking on the (no longer skiable because it is too slushy and mushy) ski trail. We walked about half of it, I'd think. It is VERY hilly. We didn't really want to walk on the creek because it is melting quickly. And the forecast is for double digits on the weekend (celsius!) so I think that may be it for creek walking until next year. Next come the fun-in-the-mud shots!

The kids had a great time on this fallen down tree, from the creek bed down to the creek. 
It is a large tree.


Wednesday March 9. Fina traced a print of a painting dad commissioned and then she painted it with water colours.


We had a nice day in the city. Fina wanted Anna braids (you know, from Frozen)!



Thursday March 10 - Our co-op meeting #4

The kids were more participatory in singing O Canada and reciting the Lord's Prayer (I thought. Fina was, and she usually doesn't like singing out loud.)

We started reading "The Tempest" in Edith Nesbit's Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare.  Thanks to my daughter, one other mom and I got a turn to narrate. Yikes. (I feel like I do better when I'm reading it myself. Though, strike that. I have read things aloud to her and have absolutely no recollection!!!) The kids gave lovely narrations. (The moms struggled a bit. I certainly struggled a lot!)

We looked at Rembrandt's "Doubting Thomas" painting. It was great. (Though the focused looking only lasted 2 minutes, and there was NO silence at all!)

Rembrandt, Doubting Thomas
We skipped handicraft this time and went straight to nature study. The life cycle of a Black Turtle Bean. It was fun.



Fina's dry brush of a bean (in a pot), a sprouted bean and the bean plant.

And the moms had the loveliest moment of refreshment and sharing while the kids ran around. It was great.  And at some point, one mom had the kids do jumping jacks. Quite the adventure.

We did get in a bit of outdoor playtime as well.  Overall, we had such a wonderfully blessed day!

Friday March 11 - We made it back to Narnia, with our friend SF. Fina and he had such a lovely day together: exploring, playing, pretending, eating, wandering about. It was marvellous! We played outside for 5.5 hours. It was glorious! (I got to sit, basking in the sun and fresh air, catching up on some podcast listening.)


They even have swords and shields! 

Then we crossed back over the river (with the worry that the ice was getting less and less stable with the forecasted 11 degrees celsius in the afternoon) and went to the stick fort.


If you look closely, the long horizontal branches are covered in tree bark pieces that SF helped Fina pick, plus the moss on the stump. They worked long and hard on that. Fina came home with a shopping bag full of treasures.

This was the river, far away from where we crossed, in a sunny and high current spot. But still!




2 comments:

  1. Wow you did a lot on is post!! Seems like you are having a lot of fun. I can't believe it's your 100th post already, congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tania! We are having a lot of fun. : )

    ReplyDelete