Wednesday 2 March 2016

March 2, AO year 1, week 13

We had such a lovely outdoor playgroup on Tuesday. Friends are being made on that creek, that is for sure!

What a gaggle of kids.

Cute friendships being formed and strengthened.

I have been keeping up with my scripture way, a short passage each day. Here is the March one, for those of you doing this along with me.  I'm doing the short version, but you can also find the regular version and all of them here.

Wednesday March 2
We started our day by listening to Zecchino D'Oro kids' songs in Italian. And we read a small portion of our Italian kids' bible and the readings for Sunday in English. The Gospel is the Prodigal Son and I asked Fina to narrate it to me, just for fun, and she did so very well.

We sang through Marty Haugen's new Mass of Creation. She actually sang along.

I also sang "When the Ice Worms Nest Again" to her. She liked it. We looked up ice worms and they are these tiny, cute things.

She did some cursive work. I think I've kind of figured out r a bit better. So we did a bunch of r things and she wanted to write rarity so I showed her how to do a y. Anything to make it work!


We started with our Baltimore Catechism: Lesson 1,  Questions 1 and 2. You old-timers know it:

1. Who made the world? God made the world.
2. Who is God? God is the Creator of heaven and earth, and of all things.

Fina: "But the big question is 'who made God?' Does God have a dad? Then how was God born?
"What is God made of? Even if you go to a non-Christian place, is God still there? Can he be in two places at the same time?"
Yikes! Am I happy that we are homeschooling. Not that I came up with any good answers to these questions, but still, we were able to talk about it a bit.

We read chapter 10 of  Paddle to the Sea. Our good friend L and her kids loaned us their hardcover version of this book and we used it for the first time today. I took the opportunity to re-look at the previous pages. In this case, the ebook doesn't do it justice. We got so much more out of it with the actual book.  Lake Superior looks like a big wolf's head. The eye of the wolf is Isle Royal. We looked it up. It is so beautiful. You take a five-hour ferry ride to get there, and they have a lodge, as well as camping. It is incredible. We looked up the Apostle Islands too (which make up the wolf's whiskers). Wow! Fina wants to go visit there.

It really did help a lot having the book!

Memorization box. We did one thing from each section. We reviewed a few When We Were Very Young poems. She finished learning "Daffodowndilly." And we read "Water Lilies."

We read "Bonny's Big Day" from James Herriot's Treasury. Fina was able to narrate it well to me. (Though I had let her do some doodling while she was listening, and she just can't do it. She can not do two things at the same time. I keep thinking she can and I keep letting her try, but it doesn't work for us.)

Then we did some math.  This is where things broke down for us. She is tired and slow and whining and getting distracted. She knows what she is doing. I set a timer for 20 minutes and she is just so slow.

She then memorized the first 7 lines of our passage from Shakespeare's Twelfth Night.

I'm thinking we need to do math earlier. But I want to do narration earlier. And cursive. I want to do everything while her mind is fresh, but I can't figure out the right way to do things.

She is doing well, she can just be so frustrating. I totally believe in short lessons and I'm trying to do that. I feel like she could benefit from running around outside for 10 minutes, but, certainly in the winter, I'm not going to do that. I do not know how they do it at school. I'd never get her back in.

I need to find a way to break things up for her. Jumping jacks? I don't know.

She has so many other things she wants to do, and she is trying to interrupt her day with them: paper dolls, spirograph, organizing the birthday party she is throwing for her Rarity pony, etc.  Gah!

That is our day for today. Off to do the million other things she wants to do and we want to get outside to play as well.

Thanks for joining us.

No comments:

Post a Comment