Monday 25 January 2016

January 25, AO year 1, week 11

On Friday afternoon we were listening to Brahms. And being inspired by watercolours at co-op the day before, Fina pulled out the supplies.  "I want to be an artist when I grow up, mamma" she said as she created these watercolour paintings.

"Peaseblossom mountain" (peaseblossom is one of the fairies in A Midsummer Night's Dream)

"3-Dimensional Images" - a wall, a vine, a witch, an apple

She really enjoys painting. I need to provide more opportunity for her to do dry-brush technique for painting something from nature.

On Saturday, we finally got to go cross-country skiing for the first time! We went with our friend K and her mom L. It was beyond incredible. I can not believe how well the girls did. We probably skied about 2 kms and were out for more than two hours. Fina did such a great job. They both loved it and have been asking to go back.


We both had a great time!


Monday morning:

I was doing some maintenance on my blog, changing some labels to be more long-term, like changing artist names to just "picture study" when I had the bright idea to give the search box another go. It seems like blogger fixed something.
I now have a functioning search box!!! Yay, yay, YAY!!!  
😀😃😊😍😍😍👏👌👏💚💙💛💜💗💖✅ 
I'm not all tech savvy, so I don't know what else to write that can express my abundant joy at this now working! (You will have to content yourselves with these emoticons.)

Dear blog followers, PLEASE try to search something in the box and let me know in the comments that it does actually work! (I want to be sure that this isn't just a dream!)

********************
Monday morning school time:

Fina emptied the dishwasher with me.  We started our school this morning with reading part of the chapter called "The Unknown Land" from Parables from Nature. I read from the modern paraphrase today and it went well. We read about half of it, and we stopped three times for Fina to narrate. She did well with it. We followed the link to hear the warbler's song, which was neat.

We sang our current hymn and Fina recited "The Apostles' Creed."

Recitation: I asked Fina to recite all her poems from A Child's Garden of Verse and she was able to do all of them wonderfully. I think I need to make a memorization box with all of our poems. I had to flip around in iBooks to find the poems she knows. I'm going to write each poem on an index card and put them into a recipe card box, similar to the set up the SimplyCharlotteMason has on their website for scripture memorization. (Updated to add, Brandy just posted this at her blog, it is clearly laid out, http://afterthoughtsblog.net/2016/01/how-we-organize-our-memory-binder-an-update.html) I then asked her to recite "Corner-of-the-Street," the poem she knows from When We Were Very Young. She did that. She also had memorized another poem from there "Happiness" without my quite realizing it, so she asked to recite that as well.  I read a new poem from there, "Puppy and I," to her, and then we listened to Peter Denis' recitation of it on our audiobook.  Then I had her recite her Shakespeare passages to me as well. Which she did very well. We learned lines 5 and 6, the end of Theseus' speech. We will continue next time with Hippolyta's answer to him.

I read another little chunk from our Italian bible. We are still on the story of Noah and the flood. We only spend 5 minutes with it, but she is listening.

We read chapter 9 of Paddle to the Sea and Fina was able to narrate it, well enough. We like to linger over the drawings and pull out the atlas and look at where Paddle is. It is interesting (incredible, really!) how something so small could lead to geography work in the way that it does.

We sang our current folksong, "Home on the Range." Fina actually sang along with me!

We picked up our cursive, after a very long time! She tried very hard to hold her pen properly. We reviewed most of our letters, though we still have 6 or 7 left to review next time. She did a good job with her pencil grip. Understandably, after such a long hiatus, she needed a refresher on the letters.


We went on with our math. She said she was "tired" of doing the clock, so we went on to SUBTRACTION! She did wonderfully with it. We did 29A, C and D. We will go back to the missing pages and the clock stuff next time.

She is doing an episode of yoga while I write this blog post and while I'm preparing lunch.

That is it for our school work today.

She is really on this Hermia and Helena kick with her little friend K. She wants to put on a play of A Midsummer Night's Dream. It is long term work for her, prepping costumes, deciding who will do what, making lists of characters, signs with the name of the play, etc etc etc. Fina just LOVES it!

2 comments:

  1. I tried out your nifty search box and it totally worked! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for testing it out. There isn't much to search, but I had so much trouble getting it to work.

      Delete