Thursday 29 October 2015

October 29, AO year 1, week 7

Last night we read from our free-read list: St George and the Dragon as well as half of The Velveteen Rabbit.

Fina did a lot of drawing this morning, from our favourite youtube channel, artforkidshub.com. As I have said before, I just pop it on (with the volume off) and Fina follows along and draws with the dad and daughter team. So much fun!

We listened to some Brahms through breakfast.

We did our morning prayer together to start our homeschooling day.

Fina wanted to start with math. So, lesson 18, adding 10s.  She is really having a hard time concentrating. She seriously wanders off in her mind in the middle of writing a number, like halfway through writing the 6 of 60, she just stops!  GAH!!!  We did 18A-D. She understands it. It really is about making it be a more pleasant experience for the both of us.

We read the story of "Horatius at the Bridge" and she narrated it well. We looked up where the Tiber River is in Rome, and where the Etruscans came from on the map.  We also saw a couple of paintings of Horatius at the bridge (thank you google).

We also read two Aesop Fables "The Lion and the Mouse" and "The Shepherd Boy and the Wolf." She narrated each of them very well.

She made a mess with the Thinking Putty she was playing with while I read to her, so now I am having her do an episode of her yoga while I clean the couch up.  Grrr!

We continued working on her cursive "w" and we even learned a new letter, the letter b.  We have written bat and ball and what and wax. She is doing well with her letters. She knows which letter is which, so I am happy about that. And she is also good at remembering how the certain letters are connected together.



She recited her poems to me as well as the Apostle's Creed.  We read a new poem, "Night and Day."

So, I'm done for today!!!  What a little stinker she can be sometimes! Seriously, today's frustrations have not been about schooling, but about parenting.  Sometimes I think I must be nuts to school at home. But I love it, (and so does Fina) and we will stick with it! She drives me a bit nuts, though!

Thanks for reading about our frustrating day!

No comments:

Post a Comment