Thursday 10 September 2015

First day of homeschooling PART 2

So, now we read three poems from A Child's Garden of Verses: Bed in Summer, A Thought, and At the Sea Side. We read them a few times each. She enjoyed them.

I checked her MUS - it was all done very well. Just a flipped 6 I found.

I tried having her narrate Genesis 1:26-31, but that didn't go over well. I think she has had enough (and me too). I should do the Bible narration first next time.

It was a decent day, I think.  A little light, but that is ok too. We should probably take it slow the first while.  She did such a good narration with the first one, I want to be sure to give her the right space where she can do more than one a day.

This is NOT easy. Considering we have never done anything structured, she did well. I did have to prod a fair bit to keep her on task, but I'm assuming (and hoping) that gets better. She is motivated. The cursive demonstrated that to me for sure.

We never did get that recess time she was asking for. So we are going to go out for a bit now and eat when we get back.

PS I guess something did stick. She is singing "All Creatures of our God and King" from morning prayer this morning.

2 comments:

  1. Anto,

    Your sister and I are reading your blog together... What does MUS stand for? Also, what does the Bible narration entail?

    We are glad that Fina got her recess after all- even if it was a little later on in the day. Congratulations on a successful first day of School <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. MUS is the name of our math curriculum. It is called Math-U-See.

    Narration of everything we read (history, bible, literature) is just what it sounds like. I read a section out loud, and Fina narrates it back to me. It is the backbone of the Charlotte Mason style. As opposed to question and answer (where the teacher forms the connections by asking the question), in narration, the student must make her own connections. For the first years, narrations are oral, or sometimes drawn or acted out. Later there are written narrations. The reading is read only once and full attention is required. It is harder than you think to do!

    ReplyDelete