Friday 11 September 2015

SEPTEMBER 11 2015, AO yr 1, week 1, sort of day 2

I suspect it will take us more than a week of schooling to get through week 1.

We started this morning with breakfast and then listening to morning prayer while Fina coloured a bit and I did some food prep. "Ora et labora" or whatever, work and pray (or do both at the same time, in my case). It works for me.
F emptied the dishwasher (ish). Yay for Montessori type of "learn to do things around the house!" We continue to have Brahms on in the background as we get ready to start.

I won't bring up her creative writing unless she does.  Though we will continue it, I'm sure.

We are going to start with bible and narration today. Gen 2:7, 20-25. (That went better).

Then to finish reading and narrating the Albion and Brutus story, Ch 1 from "An Island Story" - our history spine for the year. (That went well. She doesn't have it completely down pat, but she is trying. She tends to remember only the last sentence I read before the narration, but she is working on it. We looked up Great Britain on the map.

Now she wanted to write, and when I said, ok our next cursive, she said "no my story." But I have convinced her to wait on that.

Our next cursive is m. After some work at getting all the lines of the m down to the bottom, the cursive m and mmmmm are both good.



I played and sang our hymn again. CBW III 13E "Blessed be the God of Israel."

I'm hoping to start geography today with Ch 1 from "Padde to the Sea."  A cool book about a little carving of a canoe that goes through the Great Lakes all the way east to the Atlantic. We'll look at the map etc as we go. Fina already knows her continents, but we will review those first to see how this North American tale fits in the globe.
***
I broke it up in small chunks and it was a bit like pulling teeth narrating it. This whole narration thing is going to take some work. She has been used to devouring books, but very attentive listening and retelling is hard.  We coloured in Lake Superior on a map of the Great Lakes we are using for this. This is where the story starts.

After we finished the chapter, I asked her to tell me the whole story we just read. And she gave me an EXCELLENT narration of the whole thing. I wish I would have recorded it.  Maybe she'll do better with the big picture? I'm confused. I'll try a big chunk for our narration next time.

Recitation of the Lord's Prayer. Fine.

MUS up to  8E.

Re-read the same three poems from yesterday. Plus a 4th, "Young Night-Thought"

She is doing ok, but she is getting tired. I'd like to break it up somehow, but I don't want it to take us all day. We'll see about maybe doing yoga in the middle?  It is 11:30 now and we started at 9:15.

And now she continued her story:
*****

The Mushroom Stool Cafe had booths to sit in, and the tables were made out of mushrooms and the benches were made out of broken down logs. They got fried bugs and ate them.  They went out and walked home.  Squirrel Nutkin said “where is Jeremy Fisher?” Tom Kitten said “maybe Jeremy Fisher is behind the broken down log” or “behind the bush”, included Jemima Puddleduck. So they looked behind the bush and, sure enough, there was Jeremy Fisher, right behind the bush, like Jemima Puddleduck said. But Jeremy Fisher said “wait a second, where is Squirrel Nutkin?” And, sure enough, there was Squirrel Nutkin, behind the tree, in the hole.  He said “I’m stuck.” And they pulled and pulled and pulled and pulled and pulled and pulled and pulled and PULLED. And “pop” went Squirrel Nutkin, like a cork stopper out of a bottle.
*****

Do you notice a trope? Just like oral transmission of stories. She keeps using the same phrases, the same structure. It is quite amusing. I'm going to encourage her to make something other than this getting lost and being found happen next!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment